There’s no doubt that being a homeowner is a rewarding experience. Owning your home is a fantastic investment and comes with numerous short-term and long-term benefits. However, the privilege of homeownership also comes with many responsibilities, including maintenance and upkeep of your property whenever necessary. One of the trickiest responsibilities to handle is when it’s time to replace your windows or other features of your home.
When windows start giving us problems, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. Knowing when your windows need a simple repair is one thing—but when you need to replace your windows, it’s easy to feel frustrated with the impact these decisions will have on your wallet. After all, window replacement services aren’t cheap—and knowing how to best invest in your home will determine its immediate and long-term value.
While it always pays to have professional window installers handle your replacement window project, it’s important to learn when replacement is necessary in the first place. In this article, our team at Smart Exteriors will explain how to tell when it’s time to replace your windows—to help you make the best choices you can for your home now and into the future.
Understanding the Signs
In most cases, your windows can be repaired—especially if the damage is minor and your windows aren’t too old, are well-maintained, and made with high-quality, premium materials. If you have older windows or the damage is extensive, however, then it’s likely that replacement is in store.
That being said, the other signs that you need to replace your windows aren’t always so clear. That’s why we have created a checklist of the most common reasons for getting new windows below.
- It’s Getting Noisier Inside Your Home: Unless you have soundproofed windows, you’re bound to hear outside noises from time to time. However, when outside sounds seem to be getting progressively louder than you remember they used to be, it’s a clear sign that the windows either weren’t sealed correctly or were made incorrectly in the first place. Nowadays, windows come in double or triple- pane options designed to block unwanted outside noise.
- There’s a Draft: When the windows are closed, air is not meant to pass through them. If you wave your hands around the window seams and feel a breeze, you’re looking at a high likelihood of needing replacement windows due to poor installation, faulty seals, or simple deterioration. If left alone too long, you’ll find the energy bill getting higher and your HVAC system working twice as hard to keep up.
- High Energy Bills: Thanks to inflation and ongoing competition, you’re guaranteed to see different costs on your bill from year one to year five or ten. However, a significant jump from quarter to quarter or year over year is a sign that your windows are failing. Windows are meant to keep the outside air out and to keep the inside air in. If you have already ruled out other reasons for the higher energy bill, then it’s time to look at the windows and consider replacing them.
- Damage to the Frames: When we bring up damaged frames, we’re not talking about minor scratches or slight paint chipping—both of which can be repaired rather easily. In this case, we’re referring to softened frames, severe chipping, and complete water damage. Once the frames are compromised in this manner, this could lead to water infiltration—which will not only further wear down the windows, but also compromise the integrity of the surrounding area.
- Windows are Difficult to Open or Close: Your windows are meant to open and close smoothly while locking into place perfectly. Over time, a poorly installed window will show balance issues that interfere with its operation. While not an immediate concern for replacement, the problems will only grow as time goes on. At some point, you’ll find that you can’t lock the windows, which will compromise your safety and security.
- Condensation: If you’ve noticed condensation trapped between the window panes, this is a sign of faulty window seals. While you can try to caulk or otherwise repair the seals to prevent future leaking, this will not get rid of the visible water damage. Condensation or foggy windows always means replacement is in order.
Smarter Window Replacement in Kansas City
When you replace your windows, it should be a home improvement project that pays for itself over time. After all, acquiring new windows is not only a way to keep your home functioning properly. There are also meant to be a worthwhile investment that will affect the value of your home for years to come.
The trick is finding high-quality window products and superior- grade installation services. Not all window companies are made alike, and it’s essential that the company you choose has your best interests at heart.
If you’re interested in smarter window replacement in Kansas City that will boost the value of your home, you’re in the right place. At Smart Exteriors, we strive to provide the best in replacement window services and other home exterior remodeling needs. We’re committed to our customers, and work hard to ensure that they receive the following benefits when working with us:
- Expert installation
- High quality affordable and energy-efficient products
- Numerous colors, trim, and style for all your design needs
- Unmatched warranties
- And more!
If you’re ready to explore your window replacement options, we’d love to hear from you. Give us a call to speak with one of our representatives from Smart Exteriors today about your home improvement project. Or, if you prefer, get started now by filling out our online form to request a free pricing estimate.