A roof replacement is no DIY project. The level of protection a roof brings to the home means that a repair job should be left to the professionals. But entrusting your home to the right contractor may feel scary. However, it doesn’t have to be.
If you’re worried about running across an unreliable, untrustworthy contractor, then you’re like most homeowners. But searching for the right contractor doesn’t have to be difficult. With the knowledge of what to look for and how to conduct your search, you can confidently choose a roofing contractor who will not only install a long-lasting roof but will look out for your home in the process.
The Search for the Right Roofing Contractor
Before you begin looking, it’s important to understand the fundamental steps and the proper way to search for and hire a roofer. Here are some of our professional tips:
- Be wary of storm chasers (roofers looking to capitalize on catastrophic weather). Don’t feel pressured into making a decision on the spot, and instead, make sure you hire a contractor with the right credentials.
- Interview multiple contractors to get a feel for who will work best for your home.
- Ask neighbors, friends, and family whom they worked with and if they were satisfied with their work.
- Make sure you are satisfied with the roofer’s assessment, and always get a signed contract in writing before starting the replacement process. This contract should cover everything from a timeline and cost to the materials used.
- Never pay upfront for the work. Wait until the project has been completed to your satisfaction. If a contractor asks for a large amount of money upfront, it’s a red flag.
- Don’t make your decision solely based on price. You often get what you pay for, and lower bids often lead to poor quality work.
Factors that Make for a Trustworthy Contractor
While a rookie contractor isn’t always a bad contractor, years of experience play a vital role in the performance, installation process, and all-around customer service of a roof install. A well-seasoned roofer has more experience looking for damage on an existing structure as well as fully waterproofing a home.
License and Insurance
Liabilities come with any construction job. People can get hurt and damage can occur to your home. And as the homeowner, you become responsible for these dilemmas if your contractor does not carry the proper insurance. Make sure your contractor carries both worker’s compensation and liability insurance.
Positive Customer Reviews/Referrals
Former clients are the best source of information on a roofing contractor. While a roofer can tout its accolades and awards, what customers have to say will tell you the whole truth about working with a contractor. Were they reliable? Were they easy to communicate with? Did they complete the job in a timely manner? Was the work done well, and did it last?
Good, Timely Communication
Communication is perhaps the most important part of a contractor’s job apart from the actual installation itself. You’ll need to be able to stay on top of your project and get a quick response if concerns arise. Asking for referrals is a great way to tell if a company is communicative. But also pay attention to how long it takes for the company to get back to you and to give you an estimate.
You’ll want to hire a contractor that is well-versed in installing the type of roofing material your home needs. Less common products like steel, tile, or cedar require different installation processes than asphalt shingles. Make sure a company not only installs lasting products but that they can also sufficiently install them.
A well-established, local contractor with a good reputation in your community has far more clout than other contractors. These businesses are more often looking to do right by the homes in their area. And you won’t run into the issue of a disappearing contractor.
If a contractor doesn’t back your roof installation, you have to wonder why. Look for roofers who feel secure in their work and truly want the best for their customers. Do the products they install come with quality warranties? Do they back their own work with a warranty or guarantee? Warranties offer extra assurance your installation will be done properly.
Other Questions to Ask
While the above factors are a great way to determine if a contractor is reliable, here are a few more great questions to ask during your search.
- What roofing options do you install?
- How will we resolve any conflicts that may arise?
- What if I am not satisfied with the end product?
- What will happen if bad weather arises on the day of installation?
- How do you charge for your work, and do you offer financing?
- What do setup and teardown look like for your workdays? Does your crew clean up at the end of the day?
- Will you be removing my old roof? Why or why not? (Some materials can be installed over existing roofs.)
- How do you dispose of my old roof?
Feel Secure with Smart Exteriors
With over 20 years of roofing experience, we take pride in getting the job done right the first time. We won’t pressure you or rush you to make a decision. Instead, we will take our time to walk you through the entire process so you can feel comfortable in your decision.
We only use the highest-quality products, and our certified and trained Smart Exteriors team provides an expert installation. While most of our customers never have to use it, we offer a Lifetime Workmanship Warranty on every project we complete so you can feel secure in your roof. If you’re ready to protect your home with a well-installed roof, get a free quote from our team today!